Leiby Chapbook Award
Each year The Florida Review Publications honors past editor Jeanne Leiby with the publication of a prose or graphic narrative chapbook. To purchase one of our previous winners’ chapbooks, please see our Store, and for more information about Jeanne Leiby, the award in her honor, and the chapbook winners and runners-up, please see our Jeanne Leiby Memorial Chapbook Series page. Reading a copy of one or more of our chapbooks and/or reading about the award’s history and winners will give you a good idea of the type of work we are looking for.
The contest runs from September 1 through December each year.
Winners receive publication and $1,000 (upon publication). All entries are considered for potential excerpt publication in The Florida Review or Aquifer: The Florida Review Online.
All submissions are considered for publication in the journal, and all entrants receive a complimentary one-year subscription to The Florida Review.
- Submit up to 45 pages (double spaced and in MS Word for fiction or essay, pdf or jpeg if graphic narrative).
- This is a blind-read contest. The manuscript should not have your name or other identifying information on any page. Please note that if your name is drawn into a panel of a graphic narrative, it should be blocked out. Submit a cover letter with your name and the title (or titles) of the submitted work.
- Any combination of long or short stories, essays, or flash fiction or nonfiction–as well as graphic narrative–will be considered. Please note that if submitting a collection of flash pieces, it is fine if some have been previously published (with credits given in your cover letter), but we prefer that some of the work be unpublished so that we may offer journal publication in the case of finalists and, sometimes, semi-finalists.
- Graphic narrative must be black and white and in jpeg or pdf format.
- Entry fee is $25.
- All submissions will be considered for publication in The Florida Review or Aquifer: The Florida Review Online.
- Simultaneous submissions are OK as long as they are withdrawn immediately upon acceptance elsewhere
- Winner and finalist announcements will be posted on The Florida Review website, and publication will be scheduled for the following spring.
- Make sure to select the chapbook category in Submittable.