The Florida Review publishes exciting new work from around the world from writers both emerging and well known. We are not Florida-exclusive, though we acknowledge having a jungle mentality and a preference for grit, and we have provided and continue to offer a home for many Florida writers. We have been in more or less continuous semi-annual print publication since 1975 and in 2017 added a new literary supplement in Aquifer: The Florida Review Online, which features new literary works on a weekly basis, as well as author interviews, book reviews, digital storytelling, visual arts, and short film. Please see our Submissions page for more information about what we are interested in publishing.
The Florida Review has always involved the faculty and students of the University of Central Florida. Since 2005 UCF has offered a regular practicum course for students interested in helping with the numerous tasks required to publish The Florida Review. Twenty undergraduate students every semester (fall, spring, and summer), along with two or three MFA students, work for The Florida Review print magazine, and since 2017, twenty students each fall and spring work for Aquifer. Students are given the opportunity to:
- study and understand the nature of The Florida Review and Aquifer and what we publish;
- be trained and assist with proofreading, fact checking, and copyediting;
- learn to articulate the value of literary magazines while selling subscriptions;
- work on fundraising, marketing, social media, and website projects;
- learn what it means to be a good literary citizen;
- become familiar with Submittable, NewPages, Asana, and other useful online tools; and
- read and discuss submissions (though students do not make final editorial decisions at TFR).
This high-impact, experiential training both makes our students aware of the high level of competition they will face as writers and gives them real-world editorial and marketing job experience. Both of these types of knowledge, we believe, will help them thrive as writers and to appreciate the intense and collaborative nature of publications.
If you are a UCF student interested in taking CRW 4724: Florida Review Editing, you may enroll via myucf. For more information, please email the editor, Jake Wolff, at firstname.lastname@example.org.